Bend it Like Beckham: The UK Business of Global Sport Management
You think that people in the United States love sports? After your summer in London, our fans will look like a bunch of amateurs. In England, real football fans pay to have their ashes entombed inside of their favorite “home” stadium!
In this class, you’ll learn what makes sport tick so profitably in the UK. You’ll get the inside story on British sports management from the people who have made it their lives. Your classrooms could be the stadium homes of football teams like Arsenal, Chelsea or Manchester United, or Wembley Stadium, where great wins and devastating losses have defined entire lifetimes for UK football fans. Other sites you’ll explore include Lord’s Cricket Grounds, Twickenham Rugby Stadium, the headquarters of MLB Europe and NFL Europe, and ‘the Old Course” at St. Andrews, not far from where you’ll spend the four days of your LondonALIVE! You’ll also tour highly profitable niche businesses, like the world’s largest indoor climbing arena, where you may have sufficient guts to assess whether the famed “Aerial Assault” zip line could become a new export to the USA.
- 6 credits in HPR 499 or 599
- To meet your professor, click here
- LondonAWAY! experience: Edinburgh for 4 nights
- Prerequisite: Consent of Instructor
- To learn more about one of this course’s day trips, click here
- To view the trailer for the wildly popular British soccer movie “Bend it Like Beckham,” click here